Greenwood will depart United by mutual consent after a six-month internal probe into his behavior, the club revealed on Monday.
Greenwood was fired by United in January 2022 after being arrested and accused of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behavior, and violence.
All charges against Greenwood were dismissed earlier this year when key witnesses backed out of the case and fresh evidence surfaced during the police probe.
Following an internal review of Greenwood’s behavior, the player has been asked to leave.
“All parties involved, including Mason, recognize the difficulties in him resuming his career at Manchester United,” the club said in a statement.
“It has therefore been mutually agreed that he should do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”
“We have concluded, based on the evidence available to us, that the material posted online did not provide a complete picture and that Mason did not commit the offenses for which he was originally charged.”
“However, as Mason publicly admits today, he has made mistakes for which he accepts responsibility.”
Greenwood admitted he had “made mistakes” and acknowledged his “share of responsibility” in his own statement, but added, “I did not do the things I was accused of.”
According to reports this week, United had planned to keep Greenwood before being forced to modify their plans due to fan reaction.
Goldbridge, a Manchester United fan, believes the team has made the right decision.
“On reflection, I think this is the right decision,” Goldbridge told The United Stand.
“It is the correct decision.” He will never get over it, and the club will never get over making that decision. I believe the judgment was correct.
“I disagree with the [club] statement, and I believe it raises too many questions.” People will have to make their own decisions about it.”