In a late Saturday night showdown at Bramall Lane, Manchester United emerged victorious with a 2-1 win over Sheffield United, and it was Diogo Dalot who stole the show with his remarkable strike.
The game featured Manchester United taking the lead on two occasions, with the second being the decisive moment.
Erik ten Hag’s team secured three vital points in a challenging match. Here are five key takeaways from the game:
- Diogo Dalot’s Heroics: Diogo Dalot delivered one of the standout goals of the season, accomplishing what the attackers couldn’t as he beat Wesley Foderingham from outside the box. As United circulated the ball aimlessly on the outskirts of the box, Dalot took matters into his own hands, curling a magnificent shot into the top corner to put United ahead 2-1. This performance may make a strong case for Dalot as the preferred choice over Aaron Wan-Bissaka, showcasing his footballing prowess and striking ability.
- McTominay Keeps Scoring: Scott McTominay, the subject of debate in the past week, once again justified his inclusion in the starting lineup by scoring a crucial goal for United. His initial goal involved controlling a pass with his chest before volleying it past the Sheffield United goalkeeper. While he may have conceded a penalty for the equalizer, his goal was a bright spot in an otherwise challenging first 45 minutes.
- Struggles to Maintain a Lead: The issue of maintaining a lead has plagued United throughout the season. It’s become a recurring theme that after United scores, the opponent often responds with a goal almost immediately. While conceding a penalty is a distinct matter, there seems to be a mental lapse among the players after scoring, where they lose focus and urgency, posing a worrying trend for the team this season.
- Confidence Building for Andre Onana: Andre Onana, who has had a disappointing season so far with numerous mistakes, showed a much-improved performance against Sheffield United. He was solid and made minimal errors, with his penalty save being the only blemish. Onana made five crucial saves in the game, displayed authority in the air, and this performance serves as a significant confidence boost, hopefully heralding better performances to come.
- Room for Improvement: Despite the important three points earned in a tough match against Sheffield United, there is little chance that Ten Hag is entirely content. The game displayed significant disjointed play, with the weaker side dominating for extended periods. Improvement is undoubtedly needed, but for now, this win signifies a substantial step forward, as momentum begins to build for the team.