The current season for Manchester United has taken a peculiar turn with a mounting list of injuries affecting key players. Luke Shaw and Lisandro Martinez have been sidelined for a significant part of the season, adding to the challenges faced by manager Erik ten Hag. Defensive options have been particularly limited, leading to Jonny Evans and Harry Maguire having to step up.
The injury concerns extend across the squad, posing challenges for a team competing on multiple fronts. Here’s a rundown of Manchester United’s injury list and the expected duration of their absence:
- Casemiro [Thigh Injury]: Out for 5 weeks – Substituted at halftime during the Carabao Cup defeat to Newcastle, ruling him out until Christmas and missing the remainder of the Champions League campaign.
- Amad Diallo [Knee Injury]: Out for 7-8 weeks – Sustained a knee problem during pre-season, yet to return to training, and expected to play a crucial role next year.
- Christian Eriksen [Knee Injury]: Out for 4 weeks – Suffered a knee injury during the win over Luton, adding to midfield challenges with Casemiro’s absence.
- Jonny Evans [Hamstring Problem]: Return date unknown – Withdrew with a hamstring strain after 16 minutes against Copenhagen, creating uncertainty about his return.
- Rasmus Hojlund [Muscle Strain]: Out for 3 weeks – Started in the win over Luton but was substituted due to a muscle strain, with hopes of returning before the end of November.
- Andre Onana [Unspecified Problem]: Return date unknown – Joined the injury list after leaving the pitch during international duty with Cameroon, awaiting assessment at Carrington.
- Tyrell Malacia [Ongoing Knee Problem]: Return date unknown – Absent throughout the season due to an ongoing knee problem despite expectations of a return in August.
- Lisandro Martinez [Foot Injury]: Out for 4-8 weeks – Expected to be sidelined until Christmas with a foot injury suffered in September, leaving a gap in defense.
- Luke Shaw [Unspecified Muscle Problem]: Return date unknown – The left-back, a standout performer last season, remains absent with no confirmed return date.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka [Ill]: Out for 2 weeks – Recently returned from a hamstring injury but is now dealing with a virus, expected to return for the Premier League or Champions League clash against Galatasaray.